This tasty, healthy turkey mince chilli con carne packs 28g of protein per serving, and best of all, it’s simple to make. Army chefs from the 167 Catering Support Regiment RLC show us how…
Turkey mince chilli con carne recipe
Ingredients – serves 4
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 800g lean turkey mince
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 cartons tomato passata
- 30g 85% dark chocolate
- 1 tin red kidney beans
- 1 tin of chickpeas
- 240g white basmati rice
- Start by slicing the onion and browning it over a medium-to-high heat in a pan with the mince (use either tablespoon of coconut oil or olive oil to cook in).
- Add the tomato puree, stock cube and spices. For extra heat, add more chilli – if not, ramp up the paprika.
- Pour in passata, leave to simmer on a medium-to-low heat for about 15 minutes, then add the chocolate.
- Add the kidney beans and chick peas.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 10 more minutes.
- Wash the rice first using cold water, then put it into cold water to boil from scratch. Cook for 20 minutes, then rinse with boiling water to get rid of the starch.
- Serve the chilli hot on top of the rice.
Think you’d enjoy working with 167? Find out more about army life here